Aspen Pitkin County Airport is not an airport to be taken lightly. Not only is it surrounded by high and steep terrain on almost any side, it is also prone to severe weather, with strong winds and massive snow falls, and to make matters worse it is located at 7,280 ft. Even when the weather is warm and visibility is great, the combination of altitude and high density altitude will make departures and arrivals even more dangerous. As the runway is only usable in one direction (RWY15 for landing, RWY33 for departure) you might be forced to land with unfavourable winds. A glance at the accident databases online shows how dangerous Aspen can be.
The airport is mostly used by ‘private’ jets; Gulfstreams, Learjets and the likes are very common. Of course this is because Aspen has its fair share of rich and/or famous residents. The stunning scenery (pun intended), the ski slopes and the relaxed feel of the small town (population of 6,000) make it a popular place to relax and spend some time in semi-anonymity.
This Extended version is a full rebuild of the original 2007 version using the latest technology and features the updated longer runway.
- Up-to-date rendering of Aspen Pitkin County Airport (KASE), including extended runway and new taxiways, Fire Station (with Oshkosh Striker 1500), Fixed-Base Operator, Terminal and hangars.
- High resolution fully baked textures with ambient occlusion shadows and light maps for all airport and town models.
- 100 square kilometres of high resolution photo scenery (30cm, LOD17) covering the Aspen Valley, with full seasonal and night variations.
- 5 meter (LOD13) mesh covering 2400 square kilometres of the Rocky Mountains around Aspen.
- Tarmac and runway markings with realistic wet weather and specular effects.
- All current VFR and IFR approaches.
- Detailed rendering of the Aspen Valley Hospital and emergency helipad (CO50).
- Dozens of custom local landmarks, including Aspen High School, Aspen Chapel, Aspen Recreation Center, Hotel Jerome and Benedict Music Tent.
- Animated 'Silver Queen' gondola to Ajax.
- Extremely dense custom Aspen-style Autogen houses and mansions.
- Static CRJ-700s in United Express and Delta liveries.
- Realistic new runway and street lighting system.
- Animated windsocks.
- Compatible with Vero-FS 'Heart of Colorado' photo scenery.